Monday 24 August 2015

Relinquishing Control

Giving up the driving seats of our lives is not something easy. It is scary because we feel we understand best where we should be going. The problem is, we fail time and time again to deliver what we feel we should. And when we do, we leave behind trails of  fallen debris.

Pastor Julius Twongyeirwe gave a beautiful illustration yesterday that i feel is quite helpful in explaining the subject of my write-up today; He asked, "If you had a Toyota car and it developed mechanical problems, and engineers right from Toyota (who made and designed the car), offered to help you fix the problem, would you say 'yes please' or 'no, I can handle it'?" 
Most of us are like the car owner who says 'no, I can handle it'. God is our maker and sustainer so it is to our own detriment to refuse him control over our lives. 

Many of us misunderstand 'God being in control' for 'being possessed by God'. God does not possess us or hypnotise us or make us act thoughtlessly. No, God directs our actions and thoughts with the wisdom he gives us in the Bible. He also convicts our hearts or impresses upon our hearts so strongly to do something(be careful not to be led by your feelings, His direction never contradicts His word, so study it first with regards to the matter). He generally influences us through His Word, our consciences, outward counsel and providence.

He allows us to choose, to will, to wander away and to come back to the right path. His gentle but persistent persuasion is what breaks our patterns of sin and leads us back to Him(If he was impatient with us, none of us would last a week!) But we are all sinners, we fall but must rise up again and again. We are able to receive righteousness because Christ died for us to pay for our sin. So when we accept Jesus Christ as LORD and personal savior, He imparts on us His righteousness. And God delights in directing the footsteps of the righteous. 

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

May the LORD help me, help us to relinquish control over our lives to him as we wait upon Him for direction. Amen


4 comments:

  1. You had to write this one mom. Thanks! 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to learn that trust was the opposite of control. I am still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Kathleen, I totally agree with you. It is all about trust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @David, this is something I am still struggling with. I am such a control freak!

    ReplyDelete